The Best Bosses Follow These 5 Rules
Amazing bosses try to make work meaningful and enjoyable for employees. They’re most successful when they adhere to a few best practices:
- Manage individuals, not just teams. When you’re under pressure, you can forget that employees have varying interests, abilities, goals, and styles of learning. But it’s important to understand what makes each person tick so that you can customize your interactions with them.
- Go big on meaning. Inspire people with a vision, set challenging goals, and articulate a clear purpose. Don’t rely on incentives like bonuses, stock options, or raises.
- Focus on feedback. Use regular (at least weekly) one-on-one conversations for coaching. Make the feedback clear, honest, and constructive.
- Don’t just talk — listen. Pose problems and challenges, and then ask questions to enlist the entire team in generating solutions.
- Be consistent. Be open to new ideas in your management style, vision, expectations, and feedback. If change becomes necessary, acknowledge it quickly.
*Source: Adapted from Harvard Business Review’s Management Tip of the Day.
To get the most out of today’s management tip, sign up for Educapro’s exclusive Management Tip Newsletter and get access to in-depth information and personalized feedback in any leadership or management area of interest. Sign up here.