Expand Your Network Beyond the Usual Players
We all know that a network is important for success, but few of us devote sufficient time to making it useful. If you leave things to chance, your network will be too inward-facing and not diverse enough. You need to learn to network outside your organization, team, and close connections. Here are some practical steps to start developing a stronger network:
- Visit a start-up within your sector. Consider why incumbents rarely lead the way in new products and services.
- Attend a new conference.
- Start a LinkedIn or Facebook group.
- Teach a course at a local college. Learn from your students.
- Go to lunch with a peer from a competing company. Learn more about your market value.
- Connect with someone you’ve lost track of. Ask this person to help you connect with someone new.
*Source: Adapted from Harvard Business Review’s Management Tip of the Day
To get the most out of today’s management tip, sign up for Educapro’s exclusive Management Tip Newsletter and get access to in-depth information and personalized feedback in any leadership or management area of interest. Sign up here.