- July 30, 2015
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Blog, English, Management Tips
Get Better at Remembering People’s Names
It’s a problem many of us have experienced: You meet someone new and two seconds later you can’t remember his or her name. This is hugely important in building business connections, so here are a few tips:
- Get it right the first time. If you’re introduced to someone and don’t catch her name right away, ask her to say it again. If it’s a name you don’t recognize, ask about its origin or how it’s spelled.
- Use it right away. “It’s nice to meet you, John.” Don’t overdo it, but try to work the name into the conversation a few times as you start talking.
- Ask for a business card. Don’t just stick it in your pocket. Take a look at it and comment on the logo or something else while you focus on the name.
- Connect the name to something familiar. This will help you remember it later.
Adapted from “How to Remember a Name,” by Diane Darling.
To get the most out of today’s management tip, sign up for Educapro’s exclusive Management Tip Newsletter and get access to in-depth information and personalized feedback in any leadership or management area of interest. Sign up here.